Monday, September 12, 2016

Magnolia Market Trip

What a weekend!

A couple months ago Andrew and I were sitting around chatting and he mentioned having some vacation time that he needed to use. Around the same time we were in the process of doing some home projects and he suggested we take a weekend trip down to Waco, TX to visit the home of Fixer Upper stars Chip and Joanna Gaines along with Magnolia Market. Although Andrew is more of a Property Brothers fan he played along all weekend while my mom and I visited all things Fixer Upper.


We left KC on Wednesday after a half day at work and drove down to Waco. We arrived in Waco around 11pm and decided to call it a night so we could get up early and make sure were got to Magnolia Market before the chaos we had read about ensued.


Thursday morning we got up, showered, and made it to Magnolia minutes before they opened at 9. Thankfully there was no line and we were able to walk right in. Immediately I fell in love. I had shopped Magnolia Market online but never ordered things. However, there was something about seeing all the decor in person and staged the way she would in the store that made me fall in love. Per my last post I have been selling jewelry and had saved all the money I made with the intention of using it while we were in TX. Although I wanted to spend it all I paced myself and walked out with only one bag... the first time.


After shopping in the store we walked around the silo grounds and they were just a pretty as TV. They had these wooden swings and games laid out for people to enjoy while shopping. After exploring the grounds we couldn't leave without stopping by the newest addition to the Market- Joanna's bakery. For those who know me know I have a sweet tooth and had saving up to try these cupcakes. We decided to each get a different cupcake to optimize what we were able to try. We ended up with a Cup of Jo', Peanut Butter, and Nuts and Bolts. By far the Cup of Jo' was the best.

After getting our sugar rush we decided to explore what is called the Silo District. Recently the Silo district opened a trolly to take you a couple block radius to all the other shops recommended by Joanna herself. We spent all day Friday visiting various antique shops and finished our day with dinner at George's which is known for their "Big O" which is essentially a frosted glass they put beer in.


Friday we got up and explored Baylor's campus. After visiting campus we tried to find the different houses she's fixed up and eventually made our way out to their Bed and Breakfast. While there we stumbled upon a blog talking about their farm house being nearby so we tried our best detective skills to find it but came up empty handed. After giving up and feeling somewhat deflated we made our way back to Magnolia Market. There we walked out with another bag of goodies- I swear the things I bought the second time weren't in the store the first day. And of course we had to get cupcakes for the road as souvenirs.



** this is the original store and by far my favorite part of the trip.

If you are a fan of the show I highly recommend making the trip. It was well worth the 10-hour drive and the people were super friendly. We were asked multiple times if we had traveled down just to see the market. The market workers know this is a destination stop for people and they wanted to ensure you had a good time while visiting. Andrew and I chatted with a boy who said he couldn't imagine working anywhere else and I could definitely see why!

Doing research for this trip and watching the show has given me a ton of inspiration to make our new house a home which is what Joanna prides herself on doing. I left the trip with things to bring back to decorate with but also with ideas and confidence to create the home I want for Andrew and I.

Check out my Facebook for more photos of our trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment